Today has been dominated by nothing less then the shear brilliance that is TED Women Series.
Here at D&N we are undeniably interested and passionate about women, what they do and how they do it, how they express themselves with what they wear, how they can be smart, fun and genius to kicking ass in the board room, demanding their success and encouraging a new generation of women to do the same…both these two women can be the exactly same woman…great news is you don’t have to choose between which one you want to be, women are brilliant enough to choose to be one, the other, or both….they are, after all the main subjects of our illustrations which look far deeper then the material on their backs and see the confidence and choices that lays there within.
Check out TED: Women series and start to hear from some women who have great insight into what in means to be a women.
Often here in our nice and peaceful space we love the silence, but there are some times in the day that all you want to do is totally destroy it by booming loud caravan music to aid in the creation of our designs.
If you then imagine flickering lights, dark nights and ideally romantic rooms in which we do our work, if you then image the tunes that seam and flow through this space: our top five picks of this week are:
1) we are slightly, and by that i mean majorly putting it on repeat so much that itunes may break down if we listen to this album one more time – Caravan Palace. Gosh, its awesome
2) The A-Z of Jazz- consisting of about 100 of the best jazz songs- once we tried to listen to it all in one sitting- half nearly drove us insane. not to mention those who visited and left with haste.
3) William Elliott Whitmore – Animals in the dark album- stumbled upon this on Spotify, and have never looked back. Reminds us of being on a ship…not that we have ever been on one or ever intend to go on one. Too many pirates.
4) Im from Barcelona – let me introduce myself, there is nothing better then cranking this up on a sunny day
5) Last, but most def not least, Nina Simone- Everything and anything she has ever made. Cannot go past her!
Hello Everyone! Its been a pretty inspiring week with so many of those ones near and dear to us creating and working on some great, original concepts and new ideas that are sure to spread good and fast. We too have some collaborations and projects in the horizon that we cant wait to tell all of you about.
Seeing that it is in the final months of this fine year, we thought it a good time to show you what we have learnt about illustration since D&N has gone live.
The first for us is to develop a style, everyone has one, you just need to do what comes naturally to you as that is where the originality is.
Learning technique is really a great tool, it will help to push your style, refine it, make it more appealing and interesting, the purpose of being taught technique well is more about doing what you create some justice.
Making work public is a great insight, the public can see what you cant in the work sometimes, and it can bring a new perspective and direction.
Most importantly, take your time, do your work with love, love what you do, create when ever you can with passion, dedication and meditation.
Here at D&N we periodically follow seasons much like a bear and we cant help but notice that it is SPRING! time to get out of hibernation and get the frocks on.
For us Spring is marked by two things, hay fever and Melbourne Spring Fashion Week.
Lets get into it shall we; Aurelio Costarella, Christine, Ellery, Gwendolynne, Lui Hon, Maticevski, Michael Lo Sordo and more have come and gone with some of their works and they have been awesome! The best thing about Melbourne is that Grunge must of made its way to us in the 90s and never really left, the dark lips, square hips, bold makeup, cut off patterns, dyes and our inability to let go of the doc martin boot etc are all making there way into our conscious mainstream this year according to these designers, and we couldnt be happier about that!
There is nothing better then when fashion and a city is on the same page, and when that fashion at both ends are doing what works.
We will be updating on Melbourne Festival Street Fashion in illustration soon, so keep posted!
We have been having a great time in Melbourne for the past couple of weeks!
And a lot of things have been happening on this side of things. Not to mention being some exciting blog news.
But first thing is first, we have been taking some photos for you folks to show what we do when our hands get restless and need a change from illustration and a switch to inspiration.
big news for us here is that we were given the Liebster Award for this blog by the most awesome Serendipity
Here are our answers!
Why do you blog? Because we love the idea of an open creative community
About what are you passionate? Anything that demands some sort of creative energy
What makes you happy? Sunny days, illustrations & interesting people!
What did you want to be when you grew up? Is that what you have become? Illustrator & Illustrator
If you could fix one thing that’s wrong with the world, what would it be? Boredom
If you could travel in time, to when would you travel? Why? 1960’s – because we are pretty much zen here
What do you do for fun? If you don’t do it, but would like to, that’s okay. Yoga!
Name two friends, one human, one four-legged. Roxy and Erin
Do you like thunder storms? Not just like – but LOVE!
What’s your favorite season and why? Summer
Describe yourself briefly as if you were someone else. Single words will do and no need for full disclosure! Unashamed to listen to the hairspray musical soundtrack 20 times on Spotify without the private session on. Thats us. Enjoy xoxox
Our Questions for our nominations:
1) Why Blog 2) What inspires you 3) Who inspires you 4) What is your fav item of clothing 5) What is the first work of art you saw 6) Denim on Denim (double denim) discuss 7) Fashion trend you would like to see a revival 8) Fav Magazine/editor 9) Men and short swimming shorts..discuss 10) Do you think these questions are ridiculous..we do and we are sorry in advance, but you will be happy to know that we are at 11) Tell us about yourself in 2 words
Our nominations are!
Lucy Evans This blog is bitchin in the best sort of way…